Monday, November 16, 2009


Goose, aka: Goosetopher, Goosey-bear, Grumpy Old Cat

13 or so years ago, at the histamine-rich home of a cat rescuer, this cat climbed into my lap and became part of my family.

He's lived in 5 states and in 8 or 9 houses. He had a habit of carrying socks and tennis balls around the house (not at the same time). He could sleep 23 hours a day, but the sound of milk pouring into a cereal bowl would rouse him no matter where he was. Anyone bearing food or wearing dark clothes was his best friend.

Yesterday, he stopped eating and drinking and started having seizures.

Last night, I camped out on the couch with him, sleeping no more than fifteen minutes at a time to make sure he was okay.

This morning, he curled up in my lap as a mustachioed veterinarian injected a clear pink fluid into his leg to stop his heart. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

7 comment(s):

  • Man, I feel for you,I'm so sorry! My deepest sympathy goes out to you. I had to put down my cat a few years ago, definitely the worst thing ever. It was 2 am, and I was alone. When ever I see cats, I start to get that aching for another, but I can't handle pet loss! I can handle fish for now.

    BTW, I love your blog, it always makes me smile.


    By Blogger Giggly, at 11:43 AM  

  • Aw, dude. I'm so sorry. I bawled like a baby when my parents had to put my dog to sleep a few years ago. I don't think I could have handled it if I would have been there.

    By Blogger La Chamuca, at 3:10 PM  

  • It's by far the hardest part of owning a pet - a part of your family. I've had to put down my little ones in the past and it's gut wrenching. I am facing the same fate for my 15 year old girl in the next few weeks I fear. My sympathy goes out to you.

    By Blogger Malifacent, at 4:58 PM  

  • Many people opt not to have pets because of the pain caused when they have to leave us, we nearly always outlive them. But I think the years of companionship and laughs and memories more than make up for the pain. I hope you get or already have another friend to help fill the void Goose is leaving.

    By Blogger Sue Z Q, at 11:09 PM  

  • I am sorry for your loss. You did the right thing by not dragging it out on the poor cat. He passed in comfort and with dignity, surrounded by his family. Can't ask for more than that if you ask me.

    By Blogger evilgeek, at 6:35 AM  

  • awwwwwwwwwwww! I'm so sorry :(

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:44 AM  

  • You performed a kindness for your friend. But, it's always a terrible decision to have to make.
    My thoughts are with you.


    By Blogger mommagirl, at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home