Thursday, October 13, 2005

Your lesson in business etiquette* for the day

If you're one of those telemarketer people who have to call businesses all day:

1) What could you possibly have done in a previous life to deserve that job? Seriously, get on your knees and pray to whomever you worship to not have to do that in your next lifetime

2) If you're calling a business and asking for someone in particular, try to be a little bit polite and maybe phrase it like a question - here's the conversation I just had, a WONDERFUL example of what *NOT* to do:

me: "[blah blah construction company], may I help you?"

telemarketer who probably tortured penguins in a past life: "[bossman junior*]"

me: "excuse me?"

T.W.P.T.P.I.A.P.L: "[bossman junior]"

me: "Pardon?"

T.W.P.T.P.I.A.P.L: "[bossman junior]"

me: "I'm sorry, are you asking for [bossman junior]?"

T.W.P.T.P.I.A.P.L: "[bossman junior]"

me: "Um, yeah, were you wanting to speak to him, or how may I direct your call?

T.W.P.T.P.I.A.P.L: "[bossman junior]"

me: "got that part, is this [bossman junior] or were you wishing to speak to him?"

T.W.P.T.P.I.A.P.L: "[bossman junior] ... (long pause)... uh... yes, I want to speak to him."

me: "Sorry, he's no longer with us."***



*that's one of those words that I can NEVER spell correctly - and maintenance, and weird

** Bossman's progeny used to work here - in July, he was replaced by Bosslady - nepotism much?

*** Sure, I could have been nicer and saved us both some time, but 1) THIS IS THE LONGEST FUCKING WEEK EVER and I'll have my fun when I can. 2) Poor manners suck. 3) This person probably used to torture penguins, so he deserves a little torture himself

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home