Monday, November 30, 2009

In my ongoing transformation to Amish-ism, you'll recall that I am now capable of making my own cheese. The mozzarella is wonderful. The cream cheese is spectacular. The muenster, you'll recall, though, was a complete bust. So I was a bit gun shy for a while.

At the beginning of November, following the directions in a cheese book handed down from my dad, I transformed a gallon of milk into a compact round of white cheddar cheese. After a day and a half in my cheese press, it sat out for 3 days to develop a rind, and since then, it's been "aging" in the refrigerator.

Today, I decided to bust it out and sample it and guess what? It's spectacular. It tastes like cheddar cheese. Real cheddar cheese. It's a little salty, a little sharp, a little crumbly and a lot delicious.

I am awesome.

Also, everyone who lives in this house who is not appropriately awed by the fact that I made HOMEMADE CHEESE (which would be everyone but me)? Is cordially invited to kiss the whitest part of my ass cheddar.

1 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home