Friday, April 09, 2010

lots of strike-thrus and links you won't click

4 years ago last month, I fell completely and totally, head-over-heels in love.

With roller derby.

And like all new relationships, it was weird and awkward at first (I wanted to quit after my first practice because I was a lousy skater and no one talked to me), but I stuck with it because I had already spent so much money on the equipment never give up!

Then, like all new love, it became all-consuming. I ate, slept and drank (and drank, and drank) roller derby. When I ended up unemployed, the girls on the league were my support system and constant companions - when we weren't practicing together, we were hanging out or doing derby stuff - While I didn't love everyone on the league, we were like a family. Somehow, I got elected to be the president of that family because I was still unemployed so I had the most spare time .
Shortly thereafter, in what I can only imagine was karmic retribution for sins in a past life the family and I were exiled to the Republic of Texas (a move that I only agreed to because there was a derby league there).

The league in Texas turned out to be a caustic collection of every flavor of bitches, but not in the good way a bad fit for me - it was causing me more irritation than joy, so I broke up with derby and didn't look back.

When I moved back to California, I briefly considered starting a league here because the closest league was 45 minutes away, and sometimes when you get far enough away from something you loved, you can remember why you loved it so much... But I really didn't want to take on the responsibility of being the starter of the league, so I kind of forgot about it. Of course, when I saw "Whip It", I did experience some pangs of nostalgia for the bygone days of derby infatuation.
This evening, I found out that someone took the initiative I didn't want to and started a league in town. And they've got a bout tomorrow. And I kind of really want to go, but I have a sinking feeling that if I do go, I'll feel the urge to dig out my fishnets and fake eyelashes and strap on those skates again... which might not be a terrible thing, since when I was a derby girl, I tended to get myself into a lot less trouble... And I've already got the ink.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home