Tuesday, March 15, 2005

File under: Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Why can't girls accept unsolicited compliments?

I know, this sounds like bad comedy schtick, but seriously - it's like a reflex or something when we get a compliment to discount it:

"Cute shoes!"
"They're really uncomfortable and I don't think they go with this outfit."

"You look great!"
"No, I have pms and I have this giant zit on my nose and my ass is huge."

"You really did a great job on that presentation."
"No, I just got lucky with some things..."

This morning, my boss told me that my hair looked really good, and it does (I'm having a great hair day, it's shiny and soft and straightened perfectly) but I told her "no, it's too limp today and all fly-away" - why couldn't I just say "Thanks"? Why?

3 comment(s):

  • I think it's mainly because we just don't want to seem snobby and too full of ourselves.
    While what SHOULD be said is:
    "Nice hair."
    "Thanks! [And maybe:] I know, it's looking GREAT today."

    It could come off sounding like:
    "Nice hair."
    "I know. I'm beautiful and amazing and so great."

    But maybe that's just the way I think..... :)


    By Blogger Jenny, at 1:55 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:19 PM  

  • I always have a heard time with compliments too. I end up saying the same thing back, which sounds insincere. "Nice shirt!" "Thanks, I like yours too." Blech.

    By Blogger supine, at 10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home