Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Why people suck - part 776,896*

So - a friend of mine (friend of the husband's actually) is taking some classes at some online college and was having some problems with an essay, so the husband offered up my help (because he's good like that) and I sacrificed about 3 hours one evening** to try to help him out (because I'm good like that) we found some websites about the topic and I tossed together a thesis statement - I even followed up the next day by emailing him some additional stuff I'd found about the topic (and heard nothing from him - but it wasn't really a big deal, I was just being nice)

This past weekend, he asked if I would be kind enough to read over his paper and make sure commas were where they were supposed to be and that it didn't totally suck. I agreed (again - good like that) and, at first glance, the paper was okay - then I realized that the part I'd read was the thesis statement I'd written (verbatim) - The rest of the paper was...*** let's just call it rough, shall we? So, I spend a decent part of my weekend researching and editing and writing**** and I finish it yesterday and send it over to him and would you like to know how he thanked me? Would you like to know, huh, would ya? Yeah, I'd kind of like to know, too, because, he DIDN'T - I took pride in my work and put some thought into making it a halfway decent essay what what did I get out of it? not a fucking thing. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting him to spend hours feeding me grapes and expressing his undying gratitude, but COME ON*****


*alternate title: Why kinda smart and sort of nice don't go well together
** and totally missed an American Idol results show, thankyouverymuch
*** my sister reports that ellipses are a sign of closeness - see how close I feel to all of you right now?
**** is this the total teen movie scenario or what? Suddenly, I feel like some frumpy chick with glasses and a ponytail
***** Tell me the truth (I can handle it) Am I overreacting or completely justified to expect some tiny expression of thanks?******
****** This is the part where you tell me that I'm totally justified and I should call my husband and complain until he makes his friend thank me profusely

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home