Friday, June 09, 2006

are we there yet?

in every relationship, there are milestones -

like when you're dating someone and that person ask you to sign his or her mom's birthday card

or the first time weekend plans are assumed

or the first time a new friend calls you for no reason

or the first time you hang out with a work friend outside of work

or even the first time an acquaintence really goes out of his or her way for you and you realize that they're a friend.

Normally you see it coming, it's a natural part of the progression of the relationship, but sometimes it surprises you - for instance:

the other night at derby practice someone got engaged... actually two people got engaged, since the whole engagement thing consists of one asking and the other answering - it was at the end of derby practice and we were wrapping it up and one member of our organization got down on one knee and proposed to another member of our organization (and she said yes, obviously - or it would have been one hell of an akward situation) but I was surprised by the fact that he felt there enough with our whole team to have us be there for that intensely personal, monumental moment in his life - I mean, he could have proposed anyway - in a fancy restaurant, in a forest, in bed on a Sunday morning, but instead, he decided to do it right there, in front of us 30 or so sweaty, tired girls.

The best part of it, though, was the fact that the bride-to-be, who's really sassy in a don't-fuck-with-me kind of way, was wearing a shirt that said "I *heart* my pussy" - and, fortunately for her, someone had a camera so that precious moment was captured for all time.

4 comment(s):

  • Dear Supervelma,

    I've been lurking awhile because I absolutely love your posts.

    And maybe it's just because of all the craziness in my life right now (you won't read it anywhere, but I'm leaving my fiance), but this particular post made me want to cry.

    Just wanted to share that.


    By Blogger Poor_Statue, at 5:15 AM  

  • I never got the whole 'lets propose in front of loads of people' thing.

    I dont even like getting birthday presents in front of people.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:22 AM  

  • my comment has nothing to do with proposing. I met my new boyfriend's ENTIRE family yesterday. Talk about milestones.....I think I won them over though!

    Great story! I love your blog, I read it as much as I can.


    By Blogger HST, at 3:26 PM  

  • Oh, and a milestone.

    A casual friend helped me move a bunch of stuff Saturday. He went out of his way for me and it was definitely a turning point for our friendship.


    By Blogger Poor_Statue, at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home