Monday, February 09, 2009

Oh, California, you bring the lulz.

So it's pretty much been raining since we crossed the state line into California and from the news coverage, you would think that it was bits of Jesus himself falling from the sky. I lived in Southern California for the first 21 or so years of my life, so I can say with confidence that it HAS actually rained here before.

Also, I learned to drive in Southern California, but I'm not afraid to admit that the freeways here scare the shit out of me, especially during rush hour. And add that mysterious water falling from the sky to the mixture and it's scary times a kajillion. By the time we arrived in Santa Maria, my hands hurt from clutching the steering wheel so hard.

I will say that the quality of the graffiti out here is much better than in Texas, the artists at least put some time into it.

Also, it's all kinds of gorgeous out here, it was just so weird to see the gravel and earth tones of the desert landscape give way to these postcard views of green carpeted hills and valleys. With all the vineyards and farms, it looks like someplace you'd spend the weekend once, then talk about moving there for a couple years.

Of course, as purdy as it is out here, it's always discombobulating to be in a new city, I don't know where anything is and I'm pretty sure that if I can find my way out of the neighborhood, I probably won't be able to find my way back in. I'm sure that once our stuff is here and we have the internet and I can make my own coffee, I'll feel a bit better about it all, but it's kind of weird right now.

cute new neighborhood story - my husband went out of his way to meet our neighbors* and, although they apparently don't speak much English, they sent him home with a packet of fresh tamales. How freaking nice is that?


*and if you know me, you know this is completely contradictory to my personality where I pride myself on not having known ANY of my neighbors anywhere I've lived.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home