Monday, November 02, 2009

You know how sometimes someone unexpectedly comes into your life and it kind of seems like it was meant to be?

And you don't even feel like a jackass for claiming that something is "meant to be"?

You get those excruciating butterfly flutters in the bottom of your stomach whenever you find yourself thinking about them (which, let's face it, is more often than you'd really care to admit).

They seem to be able to sense exactly what you need, even when you don't know.

You seem to be completely in sync.

Concepts like "destiny" and "serendipity" no longer seem like the stuff of Hallmark cards and Shakespeare plays.

You start to develop a taste for words like "we" and "us"



And then one day, something seems... off.

One of you you is one step ahead, one is two steps behind and you wonder if it really is as "meant to be" as you've been thinking.

Surely, you didn't imagine the connection, did you? It can't really have been just a random occurrence, can it?

So what do you do? Do you mention it? See if they've noticed it as well? Do you try to save something that might be everything, or just chalk it up to experience and try to move on?

Generally, I find it easier to put it into a box under the bed and go about the rest of my day, but this time it feels different, it feels more important than that.

So here goes -

Dear My iPod Nano Shuffle Function -

Today was rough - I took you to the park for a morning jog (or yog, it might be a soft "j", I don't know, I'm no triathlete) like we've done so many times before and I expected our usual mix of kicky pop music, punk songs with slutty bass lines and the thumping beats of hip hop, but instead you thought plaintive girl rock, reflective Bob Marley songs and the heartbreak of Otis Redding were more appropriate.

How could you have possibly thought that the relative stillness of the morning, alone with my thoughts, would be somewhere I'd need to be contemplative? It's like you don't even know me at all.

But I'm not ready to give up on us, I really think we have something, I really think you get me.

Maybe we should just take a little time away from each other - you can recharge and think about your playlists and I'll spend today with my iBook's iTunes.

Can we try again tomorrow?

xxoo,

me

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home