Friday, November 30, 2012

The Kid: There's a new racist kid at school. He's from Mississippi.

Me: You're not just assuming he's a racist just because he's from Mississippi, are you?

The Kid: No, we were in the hallway between classes and he used the "N" word. And ending in "er", not "a".

Me: Not that either is appropriate... Did anyone say anything to him about it?

The Kid: My friend, Troy, slammed his head into a locker.

Me: I generally don't condone violence, but that's an absolutely appropriate reaction. And if you hear him say that again, I have no problem with you reacting similarly.

On the one hand, I guess it's good that there are so few blatant bigots around my kid that he finds it noteworthy.

On the other hand, how are there still people who are raising their kids to think this kind of shit is okay? (and I know that the Mississippi state flag does feature the Confederate flag, but being from there [or anywhere, for that matter] is not an excuse to be a stereotypical racist redneck piece of shit. Neither does having a Wal*Mart name that's pronounced "Muh-Kyle")

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home