Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I am officially a complete and total dork

So... I'm at work and I had run out of stuff to look at on eBay so I was surfing through the usual news and gossip sites and I happened to stop by a certain entertainment site that also has a cable network. This site runs a lot of ads about shows on its network. I glanced at one of the ads, about one of those mindless reality shows about a mother and a daughter and I saw: "Whose hotter... mother or daughter?"

I knew immediately that the grammar was wrong, but I didn't think anything of it (welcome to the dumbing down of America, right?) but after the ad agressively flashing at me several more times, I couldn't stand it anymore - did I just leave the website? Nope, I decided to email the website (which happens to have several copy editors) to alert them of the issue. Yep, I've just crossed a line.

My name is Cate and I'm a grammar nazi. I'm not saying that I'm perfect - far from it - and I'm learning to deal with text speak and internet g33k speak, but basic 5th grade grammar screw ups from a relatively big website really chap my hide (another huge way to grammatically irritate me would be using "your" when it should be "you're")

such
a
dork

3 comment(s):

  • oh behalf of all dorks, i salute you. seeing that would have seriously chapped my hide too. i probably would have emailed as well. heh heh heh.

    sarcasmic franci


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:11 PM  

  • Welcome to the ranks of the Grammar Nazis. It's not that we're fascists, per se, but we treat written communication as something valuable.

    I've often stopped into businesses with misspellings in their signage to notify the manager of it. The same applies for incorrect displays of the flag.

    Go you.

    -joel
    enji.org


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:36 AM  

  • I just watch the continued degradation. It is all around you.
    Full page color ads with obvious errors.

    Truthfully I had decided that I was the only one seeing it.

    One time I did pull over so that I could take the letter C from a sign at Wendy's that read "NOW HIRING CLOSERS". Does that count?


    By Blogger George Larson, at 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home