Friday, April 18, 2008

instant karma strikes again

So, since I'm utterly unemployable and going stir crazy being at home all day, I recently started volunteering at a local farm animal rescue - I spend a few hours every couple of days out in a smelly barn sweeping up goat poo, feeding baby goats, gathering eggs from chickens, turkeys and ducks and making sure that the pigs haven't dumped over their water. It's not clean work, but it's fun for a dorky city girl (and I usually get sent home with several dozen ridiculously fresh eggs with which I've been making scrumptious goodies).

Today, I was in the poultry zone, gathering up a bunch of eggs and I saw a turkey wedged behind one of the nests. I moved her a little bit to see if she was holding and I saw a whole bunch of chicken* eggs underneath her.

So I ask her if she's trying to start an orphanage and start reaching in to take out the eggs. Right when I pull out the last one, she turns around and pecks the crap out of my hand.

"Damn, ease up, Thanksgiving**!" I said.

Then I stood up and bonked my head on a plank of wood.


*I could tell that they were chicken eggs because turkey eggs are large and speckled and chicken eggs are smaller and pastel shades of blue, green and tan. And duck eggs are big and almost translucent, but that's neither here nor there.

** I was just teasing, the animals are all there at the sanctuary because she were abused or neglected in some way, so they live out their lives, fat and happy and not-for-human-consumption.

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home