Saturday, June 17, 2006

Sometimes I feel completely unprepared for this whole "grown up" thing

As a kid, I always assumed that by the time I was old and decrepit like I am now 32, I'd have all the accoutrements of grown up-ed-ness - stuff like matching dinner plates, nice wine glasses, decorative towels, seasonal decorations (for more than just Christmas), a silk flower arrangement of some kind, decent flatware, a side table, a beach blanket, window treatments, a bathrobe, a decreased desire to play video games, an increased desire for manicures and pedicures, and guest soaps.

As it happens, I have none of these things.

Yes, I own a home and a car and have a kid, but there are so many other signs that I am dysfunctional as an adult -

  • I find it perfectly acceptable (an achievement, even) to stay in pajamas all day long.
  • When someone mentions shoe shopping, I think Converse, not Mahnolo Blahnik.
  • I don't own any matching bra/panty sets.
  • I own one pot holder (that I can rarely find).
  • I do not yearn for a Costco membership.
  • I never wear skirts on the weekend.
  • Pigtails are an acceptable hairstyle for work.
  • I carry a pair of fishnets and 7 lip glosses in my purse.
  • I have approximately 4 empty soda bottles and at least 20 cd cases on the passenger side of my car.
  • I can never find scotch tape.
  • The most used drink cups in my house are those big plastic cups that you get 4 for $1.
  • I can never seem to pick up my underwear off of the floor.
  • I run out of toilet paper ocassionally (but never run out of shampoo and conditioner).


I guess maybe I was just waiting to get some kind of notification in the mail that I needed to purchase a Christmas kitten sweatshirt and napkin rings and get on with adulthood.

1 comment(s):

  • It sounds like you are a perfectly acceptable, intelligent, functioning adult.
    Converse shoes Rock, the most used glass in my home is from a fast food resturant. I still wear ponytails to work, I don't have a car, silk flower arrangements, window treatments or any table other than a cocktail table (garage sale purchase), I own more lipgloss than lipstick, and wouldn't be caught dead in any kind of Christmas sweater.
    Enjoy Life!!!!


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home