Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Don't I know you from somewhere?

By now, everyone with an internet connection is familiar with the social phenomenon that is Myspace - you know, you set up an account, put up some flattering pictures of yourself, scour the site for old boyfriends and people you knew in high school and have every garage band this side of Bangladesh try to get onto your friend list.

I never really had too much use for that site until I got into derby - it's a big part of how derby chicks everywhere communicate. I have most everyone on my league on my buddy list thing and we drop each other goofy comments or messages all the time.

So last week when I got an email from MySpace saying that I had a message from a new girl on our league, I didn't think it was unusual.

What I did think was unusual was that, in her message to me, she made a comment about how nice it was running into me that day and how she was so excited about having friends in town. While I appreciate her enthusiasm and Southern charm, I've never seen this girl outside of the rink.

What to do? I didn't know her well enough to inquire as to whether or not she's smoking crack, so I just chose to ignore it, she's new to the league and I figured that maybe she had me mixed up with someone who sort of looked like me (not that there's anyone on the league who looks like me, but whatever, I wouldn't recognize half of those girls without their helmets and pads on).

I mentioned the message to a couple of girls on the league, hoping that maybe someone would fess up as the one who has seen this girl.

Finally someone fessed up - someone who could not look less like me - she's got straight blonde hair and she's literally a foot shorter than I am. Admittedly, the pictures on my profile are decent pics, but not a single one looks anything like her.

Then it happens that the intended message receiver and I are talking after practice on Monday and the message sender ambles on over to join us. We chat for a bit about derby business and I tell both of them to send me a message so we could set up this derby thing. The message sender asks for my name again. I give her the derby name (because pretty much everything but this blog is under the derby name - including the MySpace profile) and it almost seemed like a lightbulb went on (I assumed that she had seen the error of her ways and we were going to just move past that and she would know who I am and I would know who she is and we'd be great)

Until last night when I get another message from her:

"Everything ok? It was fun running into you last week, but as you said, you said you're going through some drama, so I hope you're doing ok, I enjoyed meeting you & skating w/you so I hope you'll be able to skate again soon, or come hang out ;) "

I mean, really.

I mean, we've all accidentally sent an email/text message/pair of panties to the wrong person, right? But in order to send a message on MySpace, you kind of have to go to the person's profile, which 99% of the time has a PHOTOGRAPH of the person to whom you're sending the message. She seems like a sweet girl and I don't want to hurt her feelings, so I figure that I've got three options:

1) ignore it, just act like the messages were never sent (but then she could think that I'm a total bitch... well, not really me, that other girl who looks nothing like me)

2) play along, reply that everything's going great and I really like skating with her. Hell, I could even set up a lunch date for her and the other girl, maybe they could become BFFs.

3) gently point out that she's messaging the wrong person and send her to the page of the correct person (but where's the fun there?)


Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home