Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Score one for Texas Public Schools... or not

So last night, I'm out at the farm because Lucy the lamb was in labor and I was determined to experience the miracle of teeny baby lambkin birth.

It was kind of like a little tailgating party with a bunch of the volunteers, just chilling out, petting goats and waiting for the sheep to pop out her little sheep-ettes. One of the volunteers brought out her grandson, Grant.

Now, Grant is a couple years older than my kid, straight-Texas, born and bred, cowboy boots and a trucker hat, always bragging about the gun he got for "doing good" in school and trying to encourage my son to watch wrestlin', "cause it's really cool". Do you have a mental picture of Grant yet? Yeah.

Well, I'm taking a break from shoveling poo and grooming goats and Grant walks up to me and asks how to pronounce the word on my t-shirt.

I look down at my mud-caked shirt which, under a big green picture of a Brontosaurus, says "BRONTOSAURUS" in big green letters.

"Um... Brontosaurus," I reply.

He nods, obviously still confused. "I's jus' wonderin', 'cause it's a real big word."

A
Real
Big
Word

On the way home, I ask my son what my shirt says.

He glances over and says "Brontosaurus, why?"

Grant starts middle school this month. My son starts 4th grade tomorrow.

Oh, and the sheep labor? We left at 8:30 because we'd been there for 3 hours, it didn't look like she was any closer, and I'm trying to get my kid back on a normal sleep schedule. Then she had the bebes at 9:15. Dammit.

But I saw them this morning when they were 12 hours old. And those 3 little pieces of lamb fluff are the cutest thing ever!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home