Friday, November 30, 2007

The end of an era

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Robert Craig "Evel" Kneivel
October 17, 1938 - November 30, 2007


I grew up before the days of 9 million cable channels and I seem to remember seeing a lot of Eveil Kneivel on tv, wearing that patriotic jumpsuit - jumping over buses, sharks, bodies of water and anything else that would stand still long enough. He was a big part of the pop culture landscape of my childhood, inspiring millions of kids to end up in the hospital after attempting to duplicate his feats. He was a rock star, an American icon.

Today, with YouTube, webcams and a generation of idiots who idolize the jackasses from "Jackass", death-defying stunts no longer capture the imagination of the nation for longer than 3 minutes - and no one can rock the leather jumpsuit (WITH A CAPE!!!!) like Evel. He was the last true daredevil. (And, I'm not gonna lie, I was a little bummed to find out that his name wasn't really Evel)

Labels:

2 comment(s):

  • Building ramps, jumping my banana-seat bike over ditches, bricks, and my friends, taking my turn laying down in between the two ramshackle ramps--I even remember my crashes in slo-mo, just like him.

    No sequins though. That's where I drew the line.


    By Blogger SavRed, at 4:16 PM  

  • Oh, I had no idea.

    By Blogger Ginamonster, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home