Thursday, November 08, 2007

I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray... I mean, I've been up since 2AM, so don't expect this to make much sense.

And, for the record, I've been up since 2AM because my husband decided to save several bucks by booking out flight out of San Antonio (2 hours away), which is fine, but he also decided to save a couple more bucks by booking a flight that left at 6:19AM. I know. WTF?

And save for the five minutes of sleep I got in the Denver airport (interrupted by some rhinoceros who came and sat on my hair), I'm still awake, running on... I don't know, some gummi bears and vitamin C tablets.

South Dakota is tragically beautiful in a starkly beige, late Fall, middle America kind of way (and every man in the airport was wearing either camouflage or a cowboy hat.) and it's over 20 degrees cooler than Texas, so you shall hear no complaining from me about that.

In spite of legions of trailer parks, Rapid City has this adorable small town charm - the downtown is such a postcard that I want to go all Thomas Kincaid and paint several canvases of it.

We just got back from having lunch at a diner that hasn't been updated in any way (except for, maybe, the wait staff) since 1978 - there was wood paneling, stylish brown water glasses (the glass was brown, not the water) and scratched up tables, laminated to look like wood grain. The menu was just as wonderful, burgers, sandwiches, salads, pancakes and patty melts. I had a buffalo burger and it was served on plates that I'm pretty sure my mom owned in 1988.

What is it about little dives like that? They seem so much more honest than chain restaurants - as much as I like to try different food, there's something refreshing about plastic menus with no restaurant of chipotle or fusion food.

Oh, and people in the Denver airport? Are ridiculous. Could I see a few more pairs of fucking Ugg boots and gaucho pants? I doubt it. Or guys wearing ridiculously puffy vests and leather sandals. "Ooooh, I'm really cold... but not cold enough to necessitate sleeves or covering my damn toes." Stop. It.

I.
Am.
Tired.

I should be writing (since I'm all writey mcproductive lately) but... 2AM!!!!

Tomorrow? Big carved mountain. I feel so... American.

Labels:

3 comment(s):

  • My family took a road trip out west when I was in the eighth grade. We went to Mt. Rushmore, and while it was pretty cool (and I agree, the Dakotas are really gorgeous), it was also the worst part of the trip, because I had to sit next to my tone-deaf father during the nighttime Mt. Rushmore lighting ceremony...while he sang along to "Proud to be an American."

    Every freaking word. I think we even have it on videotape, but I can't bear to watch.


    By Blogger Alexandrialeigh, at 2:26 PM  

  • cover.
    your.
    TOES.


    By Blogger Betsy Yates, at 7:49 PM  

  • when I woke up this morning coulda' sworn it was judgement day.

    Or airport day.


    By Blogger Avalon, at 6:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home