Thursday, July 09, 2009

It appears that the sole breadwinner in our house will survive this round of layoffs - YAY - although if the president continues his cuts in the defense budget - even though North Korea seems to be stocking up on nuclear stuff - we'll probably be hit soon enough

In my BAWWWWW-ing of my last post, I neglected to post one story from my accidentally strenuous nature hike the other day.

My kid and I find the route that we wanted to take and start tromping through the lovely green forest. Over the first hill, we come to a clearing and realize that *gasp* we're less than 10 feet from a whole flock* of deer. All of us freeze.

There's a stupidly cute little baby deer, all huge ears and white spots, munching on a plant right to the left of us. As I'm fawning over the fawn and reaching for my camera, I realize that the fawn is alone on that side of the trail. This means that its mother must be on the left side of the trail.

Sure enough, Doe a deer, a female deer steps from the left side of the trail onto the trail and is facing us. Then she takes a couple steps towards us.

We're still between her and her bebe and just days before, I'd stumbled upon an article about a mommy deer who had kicked a dog's ass because it got too close to her baby deer.

Now, I'm thinking that I may not be able to outrun her, but I'm pretty sure that I could take her since she's all skinny legs and inferior intellect, right? But in the back of my mind, I'm just thinking that I'm going to have to write a blog post about getting my ass kicked by Bambi.

She takes a couple more steps towards us and I push my kid behind me.

She takes a couple more steps and I consider pushing my kid back in front of me.

Then my kid tosses out a piece of the Pirate's Booty he's eating towards her. She leans down, sniffs it, picks it up, eats it and looks at him for more. He tosses her a couple more which she eats. Her baby finishes whatever it's eating, then they all skip off into the forest. And we survive to tell the tale of the possibly homicidal deer.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also, isn't social networking weird? I've already blogged about my dislike for it, but isn't it weird? Within the past 2 days, 3 friends have "found" me on Facebook - there's the initial OMGI'MSOEXCITEDTOHEARFROMYOULET'STOTALLYCATCHUP, then ten minutes later we go back to ignoring each other like we have been for the last 4 - 15 years. Weird, right?

Or is it perfect for someone like myself who happens to be socially retarded and generally more comfortable with passive relationships like that?




*yes, I know it's not flock, I'm not a complete troglodyte

3 comment(s):

  • You always make me laugh. And to comment on a previous post of yours. You are an amazing mother for letting your son do that to his hair!

    You, my friend, are made of win.

    xx


    By Blogger therapy in the making, at 11:28 AM  

  • I am so glad to hear the layoffs were dodged this round. Phew!

    I am totally packing the Pirate's Booty for our next hike. Yikes!

    Yeah, social networking is weird like that...I feel the same way as you. It's been helping this *points to self* social retard since 2007... Yeah, I entered the interwebs a little late.


    By Blogger Giggly, at 4:54 PM  

  • Your son's hair is teal, and the deer is not. WTF?

    By Blogger delete me, at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home