Saturday, August 01, 2009

Today, my kid and I rode our bikes up to his school to he could play basketball and I could lounge in the shade of this big old oak tree.

As I'm lounging, I happen to look at the overgrown grass around me and I spy with my little eye a four-leaf-clover.

Holy crap!!!!, I thought. Because I've never found a four-leaf-clover before.

I plucked it and studied it and kind of started to daydream about the spectacular luck I was going to have - maybe I could find a high-paying (but low-responsibility) job, maybe I would find a hundred dollar bill in the street on the way home, maybe some mysterious benefactor could pay off my credit cards, maybe I could cook rice without it burning or remaining crunchy, maybe some part of my body other than my boobs could realize that I've been working out and start to get smaller, maybe someone will cure cancer, maybe everyone will stop fighting wars and start collecting stamps... The possibilities were really endless...

Until I spied another four-leaf-clover.

And another one.

And then another one.

And then I found a five-leaf-clover.

And then I realized that I was sitting a little too close to an ant hill and those little fuckers were biting the crap out of my ankles.

And then I kind of realized that maybe those clovers are just mutants, not lucky charms. And maybe we have to make our own luck, instead of hoping for some genetic freak to bless us.

And I'm delicious to ants.

Labels:

2 comment(s):

  • No, no ... four-leaf clovers are indeed lucky. But those were the ants' clovers, not yours. Dinner was served. ;)

    By Blogger delete me, at 5:59 PM  

  • I had a friend who had a ton of 4-leaf clovers in his front yard. Turns out that's where the septic tank was. It takes a lot of poo to support all those extra leaves.

    By Blogger Michael, at 12:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home