Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I blow on a spoonful of homemade sauce and hold it out for The Kid to sample.

"Mmmm, it's good, it tastes just like the stuff you buy in the store."

"No," I correct him. "I bought two different kinds fresh tomatoes from the farmers market, cut a little 'X' in the bottom of each one, dropped them into boiling water, took them out of the boiling water, burned my fingertips peeling the skin, then seeded them and squished them up while the onions, carrot and celery were sauteeing, then added wine, the tomatoes and the perfect blend of spices and let it all simmer for three hours. It tastes way better than the stuff you buy in the store."

He samples again. "Uh... yeah, I guess."




Sidenote: there's something satisfyingly gory about the tomato-squishing thing.

Sidenote, part II, electric bugaloo: now that I've made tomato sauce from scratch, I probably won't ever do it again, it's kind of a pain in the butt.

Labels:

1 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home