Monday, September 13, 2010

who's the crazy one here?

Today I go to pick up my cray cray meds and get told that they're not covered by my insurance.

What? They were covered last month?

They sure were. But they're not any more.

What a fan-fucking-tastic way to start the week, right?

On the verge of a level 5 meltdown, I call the insurance company to find out WTF.

After approximately 4 years on hold, the insurance lady tells me that, as of September 1, they will no longer be covering the name-brand medication, Venlafaxmachine (or whatever) I take for $30 a month and I'll have to take a generic, Effexor, which is actually only $5 a month.

Great. Except I already take the generic. Which is Venlafairfaxavenue. It's the generic form of the Effexor and it's $30 a month.

Insurance lady is confused, but after I explain it to her several times, she tells me that I have to take the real stuff now and it's cheaper (for me, anyway).

Again, I know I'm extremely lucky to be one of the 1/10th of a percent of Americans with health insurance, but... if insurance companies are consistently doing stuff like this... well, I can understand why health care is a trainwreck in this country. And I really hope I never have to deal with getting help for some catastrophic health issue like the flu or a broken bone.

Labels:

2 comment(s):

  • Well played. I might have gone cray cray on the defenseless pharmacist.

    By Blogger Betsy Yates, at 3:20 PM  

  • The generic non-Effexor stuff is way not as good as the Effexor stuff. Yay for you!

    By Blogger Jootastic, at 6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home