Friday, November 12, 2010

So... we always go out to dinner on Fridays - always have (except for a brief time when I was pregnant and couldn't handle the smells of restaurants) and, for the first time in a really long time, The Kid didn't have some basketball practice or game or social event so we could actually eat somewhere that was further than a few minutes from the house.

The Kid requested Pea Soup Andersen's and he never eats vegetables*, and I'm a sucker for "diner" food, so I agreed - checking out the menu, I was super excited to see a monte cristo sandwich - I mean, hello - the unholy love child of French Toast and a turkey and ham sandwich. Dipped in egg. Grilled to perfection. Dusted with powdered sugar. Served with a side of raspberry jam. Sweet. Savory. Gooey. Crunchy. Shut up. It's like a perfect food. How many food groups are represented there? All the good ones.

In spite of Americans' love of insanely unhealthy food, they aren't very popular - you won't find them on the menu at Chili's or Applebee's. It's one of those foods that doesn't occur to me often, I've maybe eaten five or six in my whole life, but every time I have one, I wonder why I don't have them more often.

Maybe I've finally found a cause I can get behind - bringing back the monte cristo. I wonder what color I should assign to its magnetic ribbon...

* I know, I know, peas are actually legumes, but whatever

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home