Wednesday, December 08, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like... crap.



Although I really like holiday decorations, I don't personally do a whole lot of decorating for any holiday - I mean, I'll do the pumpkin for Halloween and put up my tacky white plastic tree for Christmas*, but that's about it.

The main reason I don't decorate is because I absolutely hate half-assed or lazy decorations - you know the ones I'm talking about, the ones where the people just toss a string of lights on top of a shrub, or plug in some cheesy inflatable snowman and leave it at that. If you're going to decorate, decorate.

My other pet peeve is when people mix holiday genres - stars and crosses with teddy bears and reindeers - it's weird. Homeowners need to select one holiday deity - either Santa or Jesus, and build it up from there. There is a house in our neighborhood that has an inflatable Santa, inflatable Christmas tree, inflatable snowman and plastic light-up Virgin Mary and her non-baby daddy** - I'm not so big on theology, but I'm pretty sure he baby Jesus wasn't delivered by eight flying reindeers.

Other than that, I'm really tired of Christmas shopping.


*and this year, even that might be pushing it because the new cat is into EVERYTHING - and, apparently, wrapping paper is her mortal enemy - she turns into a demon at the mere sight of a tube of wrapping paper.

**and they only turn on the inflatable ones at night, so during the day, it's just the plastic couple praying over the flaccid remains of a department store holiday. More than a little creepy (but perhaps good for next Halloween?

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home