Sunday, August 07, 2011

what a long fucking weekend.

Have I previously mentioned how much I do not love traveling? (this trip included 5-hour drives to San Diego and back)

Have I previously mentioned how much I do not love hotels? (I can't really explain it, something about the scratchy sheets and weird smells and dry air and un-opening windows) (this trip included a stay at the grodiest Holiday Inn on the planet - ants in the room, shower pressure of a light drizzle and smoky hallways)

Have I previously mentioned how much I do not love crowds? (apparently, the thing my kid was there for was kind of a big deal, basically the junior olympics, and they had the opening ceremonies at the stadium where the Chargers play and 30k other people and I were there to witness it)

Have I previously mentioned how much I do not love fireworks? (okay, that's new for me, I just figured it out at the opening ceremony thing, they're just so loud and loud and loud and they're especially bad when I'm surrounded by 30k other people)

But I did get to see one of my oldest and dearest pals who was also in San Diego for her (insanely adorable) child athlete and they were staying at a redonkulous (and presumably ant-free) hotel in downtown.

The trip to downtown might have been my favorite part of the trip, in addition to seeing my pal and her offspring, I got to stare up at the big buildings as though I were a total yokel, got to squeal with excitement over seeing real live hobos, got to see a business named "Chee Chee"*

and got to walk past a grown man standing contemplatively on a street corner dressed only in boxers**



* unfortunately, I had my telephoto lens on my camera so I couldn't zoom out enough to get a shot of the seedy front of this building and the seedy bouncer/drifter out front.

** you know that shit only happens in big cities - sometimes I hate that I live in such a small town because there's not nearly enough weird shit to photograph.

Labels:

4 comment(s):

  • I'm with you on all of the above: traveling, hotels, crowds. San Diego rocks.

    By Blogger Betsy Yates, at 3:48 AM  

  • everytime I stay in a hotel all I can think about is the amount of semen on the bed...its a problem!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 PM  

  • I hate walking on the carpets in hotels. One time, in a cheap hotel, I was walking in white socks after my shower from the bathroom to the bed and when I got there, I realized the bottom of my socks were BLACK. The rug looked clean, but it clearly was not. It icked me out forever after.

    And yay for those two photos! Chee Chee? I love it. I want to name a pet Chee Chee now, or something. Damn, it's just a good phrase.


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:45 PM  

  • There used to be a Mexican chain food restaurant named Chi-Chi's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chi-Chi's). I always found it ironic since chichi is Spanish for boobies.

    By Blogger Cyndvu, at 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home