Tuesday, January 25, 2011

okay, fine, I give up, I'm never going to look cute in prescription glasses.

I've needed glasses since about third grade. Without some sort of corrective lenses, I can't see more than about 6 inches in front of my face.

To give you an idea of how blind I am -

what looks like this to most people*:



looks like this to me with no correction:


(if you know anything about eye prescriptions, my eyes are -9.5)

I've worn contacts since I was about 15 because I've never been able to find glasses that were even remotely cute. I've always had the backup pair of glasses but I refuse to wear them in public because they make me look like a bug.

The last time I got new glasses was probably more than ten years ago, and since then, I've seen way more cute frames and I figured that medical science had maybe come up with some way to make glasses that could make me look cute and smart. I don't have any aversion to contacts, I actually find them comfortable, I just wanted to have the option.

So at my yearly exam, I found some cute frames and upgraded to the thinner lenses in hopes of being able to rock the glasses in a Lisa Loeb-esque way on a semi-regular basis. And the people at the eye doctor assured me that I wouldn't look bug-esque in these glasses.

After waiting two weeks for the lenses to be specially ordered from the NASA, I finally got to go pick up my new glasses today.

And while these are about half as thick as my last ones... guess who still looks like a bug (spoiler alert: it's me)

 




*yes, I'm watching Judge Judy, don't judge me

Labels:

1 comment(s):

  • you just need to wear them more often. i thought i looked ridiculous in mine until i got used to them. i'm sure you look fine! just rock them.

    By Blogger that girl, at 10:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home