Friday, July 07, 2006

vacation pictures and other stuff

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
Anse Le Ray, a quaint* fishing village

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

the lovely and tropical room - please note the not-just-decorative mosquito netting that didn't really help keep the little fuckers away from me - I actually counted my bites before we left and I have over 100 - yay, high score!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

hey, look, a beach!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

hey, look, my kid's goofy!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

aww, look, it's the baby lizard that came into the kitchen every morning - for the record, the lizards and birds I didn't mind (except when the birds ate the bananas I had on top of the fridge) but the mosquitos I minded - A LOT

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

hey, look, it's the coconut man - and just an fyi - it's more than a little scary to see this guy weilding a machete and lopping the tops off of coconuts (although, the coconut water is kind of delicious and the coconut jelly - the slimy stuff inside green coconuts - is weird, but good)


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

hey, look, it's Jesus

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

also - one additional vacation tip - if you've got leftover tuna salad in your refrigerator, it's probably a good idea to toss it prior to leaving the country for a week - I'm just sayin'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* by "quaint", I mean that most people live in houses made of particle board and corrugated aluminum with no glass in the windows - and herein lies one of my issues with vacationing here - it's apparently a super duper poor island, I mean, the poverty is pretty obvious, and that's fine, but I just felt all kinds of guilt driving through these dirt poor ghettos on the way to my resort - like I was some filthy rich person driving through Watts on the way to Beverly Hills. I mean, we're not rich by any stretch of the imagination, but there's stuff like cable tv and wireless internet and good fabric softener that I don't like to be without and it felt kind of wrong to be doing things like snorkeling or lounging on the beach and complaining about mosquito bites when these people fishing out of handmade canoes just trying to make a living. Then I felt more guilt about the fact that you could tell who the Americans were on the beach because they were the nerdiest people there (but then you could tell the Europeans by the length - or lack thereof - of the men's swimwear)

Labels:

0 comment(s):

Post a Comment

<< Home