Saturday, July 10, 2010

it's official - I'm awesome

I.
Made.
Croissants.

it started like this:

and included this:
this is butter, wrapped in plastic wrap and beaten into submission. there is something so satisfying about butter battery.

and then this:


please note my precious iBook on the counter, I was so worried about screwing it up, I must have checked the recipe 20 million times.

which turned into this:


I did enough folding to qualify for a management position at the Gap.

that was all last night - this morning started with rolling out:


then there was some cutting and shaping:



then came the baking:
this is only about 1/4 of the batch - one other 1/4 was made into pains au chocolate (croissants with dark chocolate inside - OMFG, SHUT UP, PERFECT PMS FOOD) and the other half of the batch was formed and stuck in the freezer for another day (tomorrow).

and the plating:



so they're not exactly healthy (helloooooo, 3 sticks of butter!), but they are spectacular and flaky and crunchy and rich.

And having the house smell like a patisserie (or is it boulangerie? who knows, I'm not Francophilic enough to know)? It doesn't suck.

Here's the weird part - they weren't difficult. Time-intensive, yes, but difficult? Not at all.

Even if I never make them again, I will be forever grateful to the lovely Julie at Willow Bird Baking for the recipe and encouragement - go check out the recipe (and her pics are much prettier than mine) and make them IMMEDIATELY.

Labels: ,

2 comment(s):

  • YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! They look fantastic! I cannot wait to show you off! May I repost a picture or two on my blog when it's time to post the round-up of croissanters?

    I am so proud of you and so glad you enjoyed the experience!!

    Julie @ Willow Bird Baking


    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:11 PM  

  • repost any of the pics you want :)

    By Blogger Veruca Salt, at 2:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home