Friday, February 18, 2011

I don't generally blog about political stuff, but...

 What in the actual fuck is wrong with the GOP and why do they hate vaginas?

For years, federal laws restricting the use of government funds to pay for abortions have included exemptions for pregnancies resulting from rape or incest. Last month they introduced a bill to redefine rape and incest - this bill would exclude statutory rape, many date rapes, rapes where a woman is drugged and rapes of women with limited mental capacity.

Today the House of Representatives voted 240-185 to "de-fund" Planned Parenthood.

One of the main reasons they have done this is because Planned Parenthood performs abortions.

Here's the thing, though, PP isn't just a big old abortion warehouse. In fact, abortions account for less than 3% of what they do (FYI: none of that less-than-3% is federally funded). The other 97% of their services include sexual education, contraceptives, cancer screenings, pregnancy testings, pregnancy counseling and STD testing and treatment.

I am lucky that I've never needed to visit a Planned Parenthood location, but that makes me just that - lucky. Approximately 5 million people a year (26% of which are teenagers under the age of 19) are less lucky than I am. Should people who don't have health insurance or money to pay for health care be punished because Republicans don't agree with a woman choosing to terminate a pregnancy? It kind of seems like they want to champion the hell out of a cluster of cells, but once it is born... well, it's on its own.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could be proud to be a Republican at this point in time.

Also, if you feel the need, you should go here and sign an open letter to congress about this.

EDIT: Just for fun, here's some other anti-vag fuckery the Repubs are screwing around with.

*note: I don't have a tag about politics or news and I don't talk about them enough to necessitate one, so I just used the "Jackass" one because Democrats = donkeys and I'm cool with that*

Labels:

4 comment(s):

  • i use planned parenthood because i don't have health insurance. my yearly visit to get my birth control pill prescription renewed is the only time i ever visit a doctor.

    they know me, they care about me, they have been arming me with the information i need to avoid accidental pregnancies, STDs, rape, and everything else for almost 20 years.

    i don't know what i'm going to do if the senate doesn't stop this bill.


    By Blogger a girl, at 9:48 AM  

  • Ugh. This whole thing makes me want to puke. If I lost my job and needed to get a prescription for Aviane, which I need to take continuously to keep my endometriosos in-check, I would go there, for sure. I just don't understand how it can be 2011 and this sh*t is going on!! This act of ignorance is so terrible, it almost seems like a practical joke.
    BTW, I quoted you on a FB status right now when I shared a Grist,org story about this, because your "clump of cells" sentence is exactly perfect.


    By Blogger Lisa, at 10:52 AM  

  • I read about this! The whole thing is simply outrageous! Honestly, I don't understand how people can't see the amount of harm that can come from an unwanted or unprepared-for pregnancy. Ugh. Oh, for an added little "what the fuck is the world coming to?" check out Justin Bieber's interview in Rolling Stone where he says he doesn't believe in abortion in any case, even rape, because "maybe things happen for a reason." I wanted to stop right there and separate him from his balls! But, I just watched the Vagina Monologues, so I'm kind of on an extra feminist kick right now, haha.

    By Blogger Mugdha, at 9:06 AM  

  • I think asking Bieber about rape was dumb - he's 16, no one wants to hear his thoughts on anything legitimate, mostly because... he's 16, what does he know about anything?

    By Blogger Veruca Salt, at 9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home